Rockville Centre Station was originally built by the South Side Railroad of Long Island on October 28, 1867 and remodeled in July 1881. The station was rebuilt on October 14, 1901, as the original station was moved to a private location that year and razed in 2004. The second station was razed in March 1949 as part of a grade elevation project that would dominate the Babylon Branch throughout the post-WW2 era. A temporary station was built southeast of the former location between April 19–22, 1949.
Rockville Centre Station was the site of a major railroad accident on February 17, 1950 that resulted in the deaths of 32 people, and serious injury of over 100 people. This occurred nine months before a similar accident in Kew Gardens, Queens that killed 79 people, and injured hundreds more. The current elevated structure was opened on July 17–18, 1950, and renovated toward the end of the 20th Century.
Platform and tracks
The station has one 12-car-long high-level island platform between the two tracks.